The Managing Director will be responsible for growing the business; directing and supervising field sales associates to achieve unit revenue, profitability, and expense objectives. He/she is a highly experienced revenue generator and manager with a proven track record of exceptional results and motivating employees. He/she should have the ability to effectively coach the team on how to sell the full portfolio of products and solutions by generating “pull” demand through indirect sales-oriented activities to end users selectively creating deep senior partner relationships with the largest customers, creating value and influencing the company’s position with partners.
The MD will also be responsible for ensuring that the region has the right talent to achieve goals. He/she should be able to organize the team with a strategy for progressing and replacing talent; playing a key role in on-boarding of new sales talent.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Growing the business
- Has an advanced understanding of the area P&L, incorporating and leveraging margin information when developing strategy for the area.
- Fully accounts for resource costs when designing territory coverage and managing the business; always striking the appropriate balance between volume and margin focus.
- Expertly profiles accounts within area, advising on short and long term business direction and future growth opportunities.
- Proactively influences all aspects of the business and quota planning cycle.
- Maintains deep knowledge of high-priority customers and supports sales leaders on top opportunities
- Gains deep understanding and buy-in of all key regional stakeholders to a long term business plan, ensuring all decisions and actions taken by the teams drive to that plan. Inspects success against business KPIs, refocusing strategies and tactics as required.
- Owns performance of the region. Should be aware of deals in regions and actively help AMs in successfully closing top deals. Must understand the competitive dynamics of the region and where in the funnels deals are lost.
- Provides superior coaching on how to find innovative/creative growth opportunities at existing customers.
Hiring top talent
- Actively builds a bench, unerringly identifying a range of high quality potential hires.
- Discovers candidates creatively – leverages referrals from customers, stays in touch with and leverages the alumni network, takes advantage of company events to advertise openings and build network, and leverages his or her best AMs
- Known for driving a culture of achievement against goals. Shapes performance and behaviour through the setting, inspection, evaluation and provision of feedback on balanced, meaningful business and development goals for each individual, aligned to corporate and regional objectives.
- Intuitively recognizes and nurtures high potential, maximizing retention of top talent within the organization. Quickly invokes due process to manage out low performers or those without a future-based skill set.
- Instils a desire for continuous learning, improvement, and ongoing career development though provision of targeted development and career planning support to individuals. Inspires a ‘can-do’ attitude through coaching, guidance, and mentoring.
Operating with excellence
- Drives a value add pace with all internal and external key stakeholders, consistently uses the inspection of funnel management and other relevant metrics and a review of agreed actions as the basis for action to continuously further current and future business objectives.
- Delivers a consistent and extremely accurate view of all short and long term forecasts and pipeline.
- Uses leading indicators, combined with analysis of historic performance to identify, coach, and correct funnel management issues to keep team on track against sales objectives and strategic imperatives.
- Ensures the rollout and proper use of standardized sales process. Minimizes distractions and ad-hoc requests to ensure team has the most time selling.
- Creates immediate gravitas, influence, and trust with customer within all functions and at all levels of the organization.
- Coaches direct and Partner sales teams to identify key stakeholders and articulate business value to maximize impact on decision makers and accelerate deal velocity.
- Ensures the extended teams are fully aligned behind key deals. Coaches clear ‘rules of engagement’ of opportunity ownership and engagement for the company and its Partners through the selling cycle.
- An ethical role model, leading by example, and displaying unfailing judgment in ethical issues. Ensures all business is conducted legally, respectfully, and without detriment to the brand reputation, providing coaching on sales-specific ethical pitfalls.
Serving as a trusted advisor
- Widely viewed and consulted as a subject matter expert on economic, competitive, political, social, and technological situations and trends, and how they impact different industry verticals globally.
- Understands and adapts to trends in customer buying behaviours. Understands the wider competitive landscape, and counters competitors’ strategies and tactics.
- Holds and develops deep consultative, influential, credibility-based relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- Read situations quickly and is good at focused listening. Turns conflict into a constructive discussion for mutual gain. Encourages the expression of viewpoints from all concerned thereby maximizing the contribution of all.
- Negotiates skilfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups, settling differences with minimal noise.
- Wins concessions without damaging relationships. Can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic. Gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations.
- Understands the business and can guide the German team, bringing preferably both Enterprise and Service Provider Experience and a solution selling approach.
- Should be a highly experienced manager and revenue generator with a proven track record of exceptional results, both individually and as a leader.
- Demonstrates expertise in business acumen, expert-level industry knowledge as well as expertise in developing, and coaching others on how to develop, consultative, influential, credibility-based relationships at all levels, including business owners, executive and LOB.
- Delegates tasks & empowers others. Invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility making each individual feel his/her work is important.
- Able to be fair, but tough, when evaluating talent and determining talent needs for the region.
- Takes unpopular stands if necessary. Encourages direct and tough debate but isn’t afraid to end it and move on. Is looked to for direction in a crisis. Faces adversity head on. Energized by tough challenges.
- Willingness to travel occasionally (~50%) to meet with customers, partners and resources within the region
- Is excellent at honest analysis. Looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers. Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all with minimum of noise. Can represent own interests and yet be fair to other groups.
- 15+ years related experience
- Experience in service-led selling and account managing required
- Formal business consulting experience is preferred
- Experience leading teams of AMs in technology industry